Fire at site of new Scottsburg Mall declared accidental PDF Print E-mail
Written by Marty Randall   
Friday, 05 January 2018 15:42

 

Though it may have appeared that workers had started a fire on the site of the new Scottsburg Mall on December 26, the blaze was definitely accidental.

Scottsburg firemen and police halted traffic for a short time while the oily black smoke and flames were dissipated just east of Stop Light Liquors.

Fire Chief James Richey said an investigation of the fire verified that a malfunction of a portable generator started sparks flying. Those sparks caught $1,500 worth of roofing material stacked nearby on fire. That material was the apparent source of the roiling black smoke that briefly marked the site of the blaze at the Interstate 65 interchange with State Road 56.

The fire consumed the generator and several other pieces of equipment plus stacked wood pallets as well.

Volunteer firemen attacked the blaze with water and extinguished it within minutes of reaching the scene.

Plans for the mall were approved last year, and work to relocate a sewer main on the site will be under way soon. Other needed utility work has been completed.

The new mall is expected to be the site of a Dollar Tree and will have additional space for other businesses.